Everyone has to deal with a clogged drain at one point or another. It’s a common if not frustrating problem that can occur anywhere throughout your plumbing. Depending on where, you might not realize how bad a clog is. It can make it tougher to know when it’s time to get a plumber in Kutztown and Breinigsville.
You may be able to learn for yourself how bad the clog is. Check your drains or listen for strange sounds coming from your pipes. These might be signs pointing to where the clog is. When you find it, you’ll have to figure out if you should call a plumber or not. The following info may help you choose.
When Does a Clog Need a Pro Plumber?
There are a number of things that affect the seriousness of a clog in the plumbing. The info you have about a growing clog could lead a Moyer Total Indoor Comfort plumber to its source more quickly.
- Where is it? One of the most important aspects of a clog is where in your plumbing it appeared. Most of your home’s pipes are in tough-to-reach places like behind walls and under floors. Some clogs may need professional equipment to reach in the first place.
- Can water flow? If the pipes are still draining, you may be able to resolve the clog on your own. But if a fixture or appliance is entirely backed up, it’s probably safer for a professional plumber to take a look.
- What formed the clog? Some substances can have a greater effect on your plumbing. Simple organic waste like coffee or hair is unpleasant but usually easy to clean out on your own. Other materials like sewage can be much more difficult (and maybe even risky). Taking care of these clogs will need more steps and the experience of a pro.
Where Can Clogs Form in My Plumbing System?
Unfortunately, there aren’t many places in your plumbing clogs can’t form. We count on our plumbing for so many tasks like cleaning, cooking and laundry. A clog can form near the appliances and fixtures we use or within the pipes themselves.
- Bathroom Clogs: Your toilet, sink and shower can all clog. If your bathroom drain is clogged, the culprit is often hair. Taking care of a clogged sink drain, clogged tub drain or clogged shower drain can be as straightforward as removing the clogged hair. It’s fast, if a little gross. Other times, a hair-clogged drain can result in a clogged drain deep in the pipe. In this instance, you may have to find professional help.
- Kitchen Clogs: Your kitchen sink and dishwasher are the most common places for a clog to start. Is your kitchen drain clogged? Use the garbage disposal properly to make sure food waste doesn’t collect. But if the disposal itself is clogged, don’t reach into it! The blades can be responsible for injury.
- Laundry and Clogs. Plumbing around the washing machine can clog, especially if lint traps aren’t working like they would usually. Other washing machine clogs can be formed from laundry soap and grease stains on clothes.
How to Clear a Clogged Drain
If it’s a simple clog, you may be able to tackle the problem on your own. Unclogging doesn’t always need special equipment. In fact, sometimes it’s as easy as reaching for the plunger. Here are some tips for DIY drain maintenance!
- Mesh or mindfulness goes a long way. Using mesh filters or other traps for sink drains can keep foreign materials out of your plumbing. Keep an eye on what you’re bringing to your kitchen or bathroom sink. If it’s something that can clog, try to safely break it down.
- Know what shouldn’t be flushed. Things like baby wipes, cooking grease and potato peels aren’t supposed to end up down the drain. Dispose of them properly to keep your plumbing in the best possible condition.
- Always try your trusty plunger. Even if a leak appears bad, your plunger is a simple and useful tool. Give your plunger a go before you get professional help.
- Other home remedies can help. Did you know there’s a clogged drain home remedy? You can try to unclog your drain with baking soda and vinegar. We don’t suggest using store-bought liquid drain openers, since these toxic chemicals can harm your pipes.
Tried these tips but still have a problem? Call us at 484-646-3363 for fast and affordable drain cleaning in Kutztown and Breinigsville.
Call Moyer Total Indoor Comfort for Fast and Effective Plumbers in Kutztown and Breinigsville
Keeping your home’s plumbing in good condition is important to everyone at Moyer Total Indoor Comfort. Our plumbers are devoted to providing you with the best plumbing service in Kutztown and Breinigsville. If you need quality drain cleaning services, we’ve got you covered.
We have the tools and training to get the job done right. For pro plumbing services, call Moyer Total Indoor Comfort today. Get in touch to request more info or to schedule an appointment. Call us today at 484-646-3363!