You’re in the middle of the most bitter week of winter and you wake up trembling in a pile of blankets in bed. The first thought to go through your head is, “Why in the world has my furnace not kicked on?” Of course, you don’t want to leave yourself in a scenario like this where it feels like you’re doomed to suffer until morning to arrange furnace repair, but there are a handful of things you can check, as well as a couple things you can do, to stay ready and have a plan for a situation like this.
Before You Experience Problems:
- Furnace service. Chilly nights and furnace repair can’t always be avoided, but having annual furnace service completed can help you avoid a chilly morning.
- Pull together supplies. Set aside some room in a closet, drawer or another easily accessible area for blankets, a space heater, gloves, hats and any number of other accessories to keep you toasty while your furnace isn’t running. It might seem annoying or unnecessary now, but it will come in handy when you need it most.
After You Suspect Your Furnace Quit Operating:
- Check the circuit breaker. There’s a chance that the breaker to your furnace might have been tripped by a power surge or for some other reason. If this is the case, switch the breaker back on and you may be set. If the breaker is turned off and you have switched it back on but your furnace still isn’t running, give us a call to set up an appointment for furnace repair.
- Add layers and get cozy. That list of supplies we recommended above will come in handy here. Layers can help you preserve body heat so you can stay comfortable while waiting for your technician. Also, try to find an activity to do to keep your blood pumping, as increased activity can help keep you warm.
- Stay safe. Using something other than your furnace to heat your home can pose some danger depending on the method you’re using. It’s important to remember to never choose heating methods developed for outdoor use – i.e. kerosene heaters, grills, or any other carbon monoxide producing methods. If you need to use a secondary method, electric space heaters, fireplaces or wood stoves are your best bets.
No one wants to deal with furnace repair in the middle of winter after their furnace has stopped working, but the opportunity is real if you don’t take the proper steps. Give the pros at Moyer Total Indoor Comfort a call at 484-646-3363 if you have any questions about these tips, the furnace repair services available or any other number of heating questions.