Whether you appreciate winter or prefer the warmer months in Kutztown, a lot of us make adjustments to ensure our home’s temperature keeps us comfortable. This can have a huge impact on your utility costs, but there are steps you can take to bring monthly costs down.
- Assess the weather stripping – After many years, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to pinpoint any drafts that need to be addressed.
- Take advantage of your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be valuable in keeping your house warm. Keep them open when the sun is shining during the day, and make sure to close them at night, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter routinely to see if it should be switched out. We suggest at least once every three months, but that period of time can vary from house to house.
- Install a programmable thermostat – Programmable thermostats may seem like just a simple way to make sure your home stays warm, but programmable thermostats can also save you money! You can arrange temperatures to be cooler when you are away from the home or sleeping. Being more mindful of efficiency will help with heating costs.
- Add insulation to your attic – Check to see if you have an acceptable amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a powerful tool to reduce the chances of heat escaping.
- Book routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system will benefit from having a professional look at it, too. Hiring qualified technicians to clean and maintain your system will confirm that your system is working effectively and efficiently. They can also catch small issues that could end up as more costly repairs if left unchecked.
- Assess your HVAC system – If your utility bills are continually increasing—despite your efforts to increase efficiency—it might be time to consider a replacement heating system. The team at Moyer Total Indoor Comfort can help you review the performance of your HVAC system and walk through your options for newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps decrease the amount of money you are having to spend on heating bills, but many of them can help your heating system run more efficiently. More efficient energy use also improves the health of your equipment, which means your system will last longer.
If you would like routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide additional information on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give Moyer Total Indoor Comfort in Kutztown a call to get started. Contact our team at 484-646-3363 or book an appointment with us online.