On average, air ducts need to be cleaned every three to five years according to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association
. Dependent on a lot of factors—like your home’s location, whether or not you have pets, and how regularly your air filter has been changed, to name a few—you may adjust your air duct cleaning
more or less regularly. So, how can you tell for sure when it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? There are certainly some revealing signs when it’s time.
Look for these clues:
- Are your cold air returns coated with dust or pet hair?
- Is there an obstruction in your cold air return vent?
- Are your registers wafting out dust?
- When you check inside with a flashlight, can you see a buildup of debris or pet fur?
- Have insects or rodents made a home in your ductwork?
- Can you hear sound other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
- When your vents are fully opened, do any have not as much airflow than others?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s most likely time to ask Moyer Total Indoor Comfort in Kutztown and Breinigsville about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
There are a few things you can do to help keep your ducts cleaner and prolong the timeline between specialized cleanings.
First and foremost, schedule annual HVAC maintenance with the experts at Moyer Total Indoor Comfort. A maintenance check of your furnace each fall and your AC each spring, which should consist of inspection, and potential replacement, of your air filter, will help keep your HVAC system running efficiently, and should help keep your ducts clean.
You can also converse with the team at Moyer Total Indoor Comfort about installing an air purification system. We have the Lennox PureAir Air Purification System, Healthy Climate Carbon Clean 16 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate 11 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filtration System and Healthy Climate UV Germicidal Lights.
Other steps you can take include:
- Frequently dusting and vacuuming your home.
- Checking your air filters routinely and changing them when the manufacturer recommends replacing them. Most filters will present dust on them after a short period in service, but they may not demand changing.
- Sealing leaks in air ducts that permit dust to come in from areas like your attic.
- Replacing poor or damaged air-duct insulation.
With an expert air duct cleaning and some preemptive measures, you can help keep the air in your Kutztown and Breinigsville home clean and healthy. Give the experts at Moyer Total Indoor Comfort a call at 484-646-3363.