While the cold season seems like it’s already been here for far too long, its influence on our heating bill is just starting. Keeping energy costs low during the coldest months of the year can be challenging, but that doesn’t mean you can’t take steps to possibly lower those costs. That’s why we’ve come up with a few furnace tips to help keep heating bills from skyrocketing.
To begin reducing your heating bills and boosting your energy efficiency this winter, consider:
- Keeping your blinds open over the warmest hours of the day to bring sunlight in, warming your home naturally.
- Sealing leaks around your home’s windows and doors with caulk or weather stripping.
- Adding a programmable thermostat so that you can better control the temperature in your home, which will also enhance energy efficiency.
- Cleaning or replacing your furnace filter every few months.
- Making sure your home’s heating vents are open and aren’t blocked by any obstructions
- Replacing your old furnace with a newer, more efficient model if you’ve had your current furnace for more than 15 years.
- Adding insulation to your attic to keep the heat trapped inside.
- Checking your roof to make sure your shingles are intact, and that there are no holes or areas that need to be sealed.
Trying to keep your energy bills to a minimum and energy efficiency at a maximum, is a year-round battle, one that can seem overwhelming at times. However, that doesn’t mean that you can’t take a few small steps to make sure you’re keeping your bills as low as possible. If you have any questions about the tips above or questions about how you can reduce your heating bills, give us a call at 484-646-3363. Our experts are here to help ensure your home is comfortable all year long, even with the crazy Kutztown weather.